Making it to the Top of the Hill [Heritage 2021] Part 1

Our Heritage trip began bright dark and early on July 16th. Lydia and I were scheduled to fly out at 7:00 am, but our first flight got delayed for a couple of hours. (I was so excited that I couldn’t go back to sleep after waking up the first time.)

My baby face came in handy when we got to the airport because my parents were able to go in and help with the process of signing Lydia off to me. 😁 While going through customs, the man who was checking our papers said to me “Well, the papers tell me you are escorting your sister Lydia, but if I didn’t see the papers I would think it was the other way around!” πŸ˜‚

We flew into Miami and (managed not to get lost) made it to our gate and waited for our flight to take off. We were leaving around 5:30 pm, flying for almost 6 hours, then landing at San Francisco around 7:30 pm. It confused this MK girls and got me all mixed up! πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by elder Jennifer Connell and given our respective signs. After we left the airport, she (knowing the mind of the Lord) took us for a late night Chick-fil-A run…it was awesome!

The next day we slept in (well, some longer than others) and then packed up the different packages we had shipped to the Connells house before our arrival. We spent the afternoon shopping with Jen, then we all went to Applebee’s for supper celebrate Paul and Sis. Joslyn’s birthdays. We found some pretty bomb Jesus jams on the way there, too!

On the way to church on Sunday morning, we took a quick Starbucks run and Lydia and I were commenting to Jen how we hoped Bro. (Tio) Connell would let us wait until the evening service to sing, because our voices hadn’t warmed up yet.

After preservice prayer, (from the pulpit) Bro. Connell asked us if we would prefer to sing in the morning or evening service, to which we replied that we would prefer to sing in the evening service. I was just starting to get excited when Bro. Connell JR pipes up and says “They can sing both services!” So long story short, Bro. Connell made us sing both services. (thanks PabloπŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚) We did have a powerful move of the Holy Ghost that day, though (despite our singing. 😁) We stayed up a little bit that night, although we knew we were leaving early the next day.

We got up early on Monday and Tio Connell took us to the airport; he also made me a coffee which I was very grateful for (especially later in the day). When we went to check in, we had our first funny experience. We were standing in (a very long) line to check our bags in, and there were so many people that finally a little man came running up to us and pointed to a line and said “The line is too long! You go through here!” We got a little excited thinking we were one of the few favored and chosen and that we’d go through quicker than the rest. We followed the line…and it dead ended. We were so confused, so the people in front of us took the belt/strap thing out of the posts that mark the line (I don’t know if that makes sense or not πŸ˜‚). The little guy runs up behind us waving his hands saying “No! NO! What are you doing? This is American airlines, you are going to Southwest!!” Apparently he was just rerouting us back into the same line. So another man came up and was very confused and got a little upset, and the little guy was like “It is very simple! It is not complicated!” The man said “Actually it is complicated; there’s people everywhere!” By that point, everyone was cracking up, because it really was quite entertaining. 🀣

We also wore matching shirts that day (shoutout to Isaac Mitchell and his clothing line: Amadeus) so it caused us to get a lot of attention, and caused people to automatically assume we were together with some sort of a group. We got through security in record time! πŸ˜† While going through security, something funny happened: I asked one of the ladies working in security if I needed to take my shoes off. She said “Well, how old are you?” When I told her I was 21, she hit her knee and started to cackle (she couldn’t believe it, apparently). She also guessed that Jen was 16, so she got a kick out of hearing our ages. If nothing else, I believe we brightened her day!

We got to watch a beautiful sunrise, and also got some extra prayer time in on the way to Heritage! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

We were the first of the group to get there, so we waited in the Denver airport for Courtney and Allana to arrive. Courtney got there first and we sat around talking and watching people arrive. After Allana landed, we wrote a sign for her and sang “Happy Birthday” to her once she arrived! πŸ˜‚

We then went to pick up the rental car, and here is where the group adventures started for that day. One of the girls in our group had rented a car and found a great deal. Once all of us were together, we went to pick up the car. We waited for the shuttle, and when it arrived we started feeling a little nervous. We kept asking the girl who reserved if she was sure of the quality, because when the shuttle got there, it was an old shuttle bus with no AC and rusty steps. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ We made it back to the rental car place, and after they tried to charge us an extra $400 or so (thank God the girls caught on and said something about it) took a few mins to find the car. We walked around the lot pointing the key at different cars trying to set the alarm off so we could find it. It was quite entertaining!

After we finally located the car, we drove to Colorado Springs (stopping at Chick-fil-A) and got there an hour before the meet and greet was supposed to start. Our hotel was a really cool hotel (aside from the weird hippie vibes πŸ˜¬πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚) and there were lots of cool quotes on the walls and place to take pictures, so we enjoyed exploring it while there. We got ready really quick and went over to the Elegante. When I first walked in the door of the hotel, I felt extremely overwhelmed by the amount of people there.

We had a great time during the singspiration, and as soon as it was done, we headed to Target (because we’re oldπŸ˜‚πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ). We recorded a new take of Maywaker and featured a couple new artists; it is still unclear as to when the single will be released. We had so many laughs that it literally made my side hurt! We ate at Arby’s and enjoyed some great fellowship with fellow elders and ministers; it was very uplifting! On the way back to the hotel we never ceased to be entertained, especially trying to transport the full length mirror we bought at Target! πŸ˜‚ We then dropped off Cara and Jackie at their hotel. They took my cliff bars by mistake, and I felt like I was going to die next day during intermission! 😁

The next day we took some really cute pictures in a cool room we found in our hotel and then went out to eat with the Perdu group. We ate some amazing food at “El Taco y La Arepa”, and were also able to witness to the owner, who couldn’t believe we spoke Spanish.🀣 Hopefully some day she’ll make it to church! We went shopping at Dillard’s outlet and ran into Tio Noe Trevino (quite literally), so that was a nice surprise! 😁

There is so much more to write, but I would prefer to at least get the post out in parts so y’all can be reading little bits and pieces of our funny stories and experiences! I will continue with part 2 in the next few days. Thanks for being patient with me! 😁

Thanks for reading and have a blessed day,

Sarah Schreckhise

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: